[Axiom-developer] dependency visualization with VCG

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] dependency visualization with VCG
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:03:47 -0400

David,

About VCG. I downloaded an old Linux version of VCG which
shows

  xvcg -v

  VCG/XVCG - USAAR Visualization Tool V.1.3
   Revision 3.17 Date: 1995/02/08 11:11:14

(Where can I get a newer one??) I am running this on a fast
system with a lot of memory and Red Hat 9.0 Linux.

I played with VCG it to understand the graph input language
(gdl) and then I wrote a short Perl script (based on what I did
last week to find the spad file dependencies) to generate a gdl
file for Axiom.

Unfortunately when I tried to view it with xvcg, after a lot of grinding
of CPU, Linux finally crashed! (Hey, that's the first time I've crashed
Linux in a long time.) Anyway, the documentation did warn me that
the graph layout algorthm scaled exponentially with the size of the
graph...

The Axiom dependency graph that I tried to use with xvcg has
over 1040 nodes and more than 17,000 edges (dependencies).

Do you have any ideas about the size of graphs that can be
successfully manipulated with VCG? Do you have any suggestions
on where to go from here? Do you think of any way to segment
the Axiom dependency graph into smaller more managable
sub-graphs?

Cheers,
Bill Page.