Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: dependency visualization with VCG

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: dependency visualization with VCG
Date: 28 Aug 2003 19:28:13 -0400

Martin,

Thank you for your reference to the tulip package. I have downloaded
it (both as binary rpm and in source form) and tried to install in
under Linux RedHat 9.0, but I have run into problems in both cases.

In trying to install the binary package after first installing the
required lib files, I have one remaining dependency which I don't
seem to be able to resolve.

  address@hidden wspage]$ rpm -i tulip-1.2.4-1.i386.rpm
  error: Failed dependencies:
        libOSMesa.so.3 is needed by tulip-1.2.4-1

I have also installed Mesa 5.0.1 and I *do* have a file named

     /usr/local/lib/libOSMesa.so.4

I tried compiling and installing various older versions of Mesa but
even the "recommended" version 4.0.1 did not produce the required
libOSMesa.so.3 file.

So then I decided to try to resort to compiling Tulip from source.
>From the ./configure I discovered that I first had to recompile
qt from source because the version I got from the RedHat rpm did
not contain the header files. After getting qt to compile and
install, configure completed but way down in the make I got an
error during the compile:

source='PropertyDialogData.cpp' object='Tulip-PropertyDialogData.o'
libtool=no \depfile='.deps/Tulip-PropertyDialogData.Po'
tmpdepfile='.deps/Tulip-PropertyDialogData.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../../../depcomp \
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -I./../include -I../include
-I../../../thirdparty/gzstream -I/usr/local/qt/include
-I../../../library/tulip/include -I../../../library/tulip-geo/include
-I../../../library/tulip-ogl/include
-I../../../library/tulip-qt/include   -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -D_REENTRANT
-DNDEBUG -O2 -pipe
-c -o Tulip-PropertyDialogData.o `test -f 'PropertyDialogData.cpp' ||
echo './'`PropertyDialogData.cpp
PropertyDialogData.cpp: In constructor
   `PropertyDialogData::PropertyDialogData(QWidget*, const char*,
unsigned
   int)':
PropertyDialogData.cpp:84: invalid use of undefined type `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
../include/PropertyDialogData.h:24: forward declaration of `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
PropertyDialogData.cpp:85: incomplete type `TulipPropertyTable' does not
have
   member `AlwaysOn'
PropertyDialogData.cpp:86: invalid use of undefined type `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
../include/PropertyDialogData.h:24: forward declaration of `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
PropertyDialogData.cpp:87: invalid use of undefined type `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
../include/PropertyDialogData.h:24: forward declaration of `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
PropertyDialogData.cpp:89: no matching function for call to
`QGridLayout::
   addWidget(TulipPropertyTable*&, int, int)'
/usr/local/qt/include/qlayout.h:331: candidates are: void
   QGridLayout::addWidget(QWidget*, int, int, int = 0)
PropertyDialogData.cpp:95: invalid use of undefined type `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
../include/PropertyDialogData.h:24: forward declaration of `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
PropertyDialogData.cpp:96: incomplete type `TulipPropertyTable' does not
have
   member `AlwaysOn'
PropertyDialogData.cpp:97: invalid use of undefined type `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
../include/PropertyDialogData.h:24: forward declaration of `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
PropertyDialogData.cpp:98: invalid use of undefined type `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
../include/PropertyDialogData.h:24: forward declaration of `struct
   TulipPropertyTable'
PropertyDialogData.cpp:100: no matching function for call to
`QGridLayout::
   addWidget(TulipPropertyTable*&, int, int)'
/usr/local/qt/include/qlayout.h:331: candidates are: void
   QGridLayout::addWidget(QWidget*, int, int, int = 0)
make[5]: *** [Tulip-PropertyDialogData.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/wspage/tulip-1.2.4/software/Tulip/src'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/wspage/tulip-1.2.4/software/Tulip/src'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/wspage/tulip-1.2.4/software/Tulip'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wspage/tulip-1.2.4/software'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wspage/tulip-1.2.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

-----------

So finally, I decided to complete the original install using

  rpm --nodeps -i tulip-1.2.4-1.i386.rpm

to ignore the dependency error.

Now I have a version of Tulip that "sort of" runs. I can draw a
simple graph but some actions cause the program to abort. And I
find the controls rather confusing. Nor have I found an particularly
useful documentation or examples. For instance, I do not understand
how to import an externally defined graph (such as the axiom
dependency graph which I currently have in GDL - graph description
language - format).

Anyway, if you have any suggestions on what to do to solve these
problems, I would really appreciate it. In spite of these problems
what I have seen so far looks very interesting.

Cheers,
Bill Page.