Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Cur

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Current status on TeXmacs for Axiom?)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:57:05 +0200

Bill Page <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe the patch to tm_axiom.c should also include this
> command in the startup phase
>
> --------
>    /* force-feeding */
> +  fputs(")set messages autoload off\n",axin); fflush(axin);
> +#ifdef LOG
> +  fputs("SENT )set messages autoload off\n",log); fflush(log);
> +#endif
>    fputs(")set messages prompt plain\n",axin); fflush(axin);
> --------

I tried this but it does not work. The Axiom prompt never appears in
TeXmacs. By putting the ")set messages autoload off" later (after ")set
output algebra off"), it partially works. One need to type two <return>
to obtain Axiom result.

> Looking more closely, it seems that Axiom sometimes embeds
> the autoload messages in the output stream in what seems a
> strange order.

Would it be possible to delay the autoload message before or after the
output stream?

> It is not yet clear to me at this time how to get TeXmacs to handle
> such messages properly in all cases (look for "Loading ..." embedded
> in the tex?), or whether perhaps a change can be /should be made to
> axiom to avoid generating these messages inside the tex $$ ... $$
> section.

I think it would be the best solution: outside $$ ... $$.

I've not look at Axiom internals but maybe is it possible to use two
buffers to prepare Axiom output?

> Maybe the Loading ... messages should be sent to stderr rather
> than stdout?

This approach would raise other issues. It would complicate the build
process if you want all messages output by Axiom.

Moreover, it might be necessary to have autoload messages (and other
information messages) under TeXmacs if it becomes the default Axiom user
interface. The more I think about it, the more I think we should keep
Axiom output as much unaltered as possible: keep all Axiom prompt, just
remove prompt number and typeset mathematical output.

By the way, I also noticed that there is some display glitches in
TeXmacs with following command:

  integrate(x**(1/3),x)

I have asked on texmacs-dev on the best way to fix this issue.

Yours,
d.
--
 address@hidden