[Axiom-developer] RE: Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:23:42 -0400

David,

I am sorry that I did not take the time last night to
provide a complete working patch, I just keyed those
commands from memory. But there is a little more that
needs to be done to synchronize axiom's output with the
texmacs interface. I have attached a full patch file
from diff -Naur which includes both your and my changes
to the tm_axiom.c file. This sets the default for the
autoload messages to off just as it was for the older
"commercial" version of Axiom. It also fixes the -Wall
warnings.

I don't see any problem (in principle) with sending
"debugging" messages. It is common practice that they
should go to stderr. I think it might help to "tidy-up"
the output of the Axiom build output if stderr output
were not included unless some option was specified. But
this is not so important.

In the commercial version of Axiom these messages were
not displayed by default. But in this "developer" version
of Axiom, maybe it makes sense that the default should be
to display them. In any case the display can be control
by the )set messages command.

If I get time, I will see if I can understand Axiom's tex
output generation code enough to change it so that all
this would probably be the best option. And as you note,
there may be other things we may want to change to bring
the generated tex up to modern "standards".

Cheers,
Bill Page.