Re: [Axiom-developer] Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:28:19 +0100

Hi,

The reason that the autoload messages were originally on by default is
historical - the AKCL version of Axiom was painfully slow at loading
code and this provided users with reassurance that something was
actually happening.  When we moved to CCL the loading speed was
significantly increased and we could also pre-load frequently used code
with minimal impact on the image size, so we switched the messages off
by default.

There is a system-wide configuration file: src/inputs/axiom.input which
behaves as you suggest.  The argument against having it in /etc is that
users might have AXIOM on an NFS mounted filesystem so its better to
keep everything together.  This is also why we created the share
directory to avoid having duplicate versions of things.

Cheers, Mike.