Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL 2.6.1 on Windows XP

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL 2.6.1 on Windows XP
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:20:17 -0500

Camm,

The clean target of the Makefile eventually removes all of int and obj.
Individual clean stanzas in Makefiles need not care. I eventually plan
to allow individual directories to be built (the so-called PART function).
It used to be the case that you could say make PART=doc and it would only
build the doc directory and any required parts (e.g. noweb). It is too
early to introduce that ability but as I continue to introduce new parts
of Axiom we will need it. At that time I'll make sure the "clean" works.

> As a suggestion, could you provide this in .tex format instead?  At
> least for Debian packages, changes in binary files like .dvi files
> cannot be represented in a diff, so everytime this file changes, if I
> leave it in the package, I have to increment the "upstream" package
> number and install the *whole* original source tree tarball as a
> separate version in the Debian archives.  I.e., multiple axiom
> tarballs installed in their entirety perhaps diffing only in this
> file.

Ummm, maybe. I plan to update the README file tonight. I'll consider
splitting out the non-Makefile related stuff into the README and
then have the .dvi file autoconstructed. I'll see what I can do.

> BTW, do you have a suggestion for the "upstream" axiom version number
> used in the Debian package?  Right now I'm using 0.0.0cvs.

I'm unhappy with the version 3.1.4.1.5.9.2.6.5 kind of numbering scheme
as it is completely content-free. I much prefer a date-based format such
as YYYYMMDDxxx where xxx is an incrementing number for events on the same
day. If Debian wants dotted-decimal format I suppose we could use
2003.10.28 or some such. If that still isn't ok then feel free to invent
one.

I'm torn about removing the boxup commands. They provide a standard
head and tail to functions and catch bad pamphlet files. I guess I'll
leave them there for now.

I'll chmod -x these: