Re: [Axiom-developer] debian layout

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] debian layout
Date: 08 Jun 2004 11:48:58 -0400

Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

> ok, so to summarize, if I understand correctly:
>
> there needs to be a layering in the mnt/linux subdirectory based on
>
> (1) system-dependent
>   code and data, that achieves a "minimum install image"
>      (because some people just want a runnable axiom sans anything else)
>
> (2) system-independent
>   code and data that is necessary to run the system
>      (because debian doesn't want to have 12 copies of this)
>
> (3) system independent
>   data that is useful but optional
>      (because some people just want a runnable system)
>      (because debian doesn't want to have 12 copies)
>
> The build process needs to build (1) and package for many target systems
> The build process needs to build (2) and package it once
> The build process needs to build (3) and package it once.
>
> Did I understand correctly?

Yes, this is basically correct.  A few clarifications:

1) You need not do anything in mnt/linux if you don't deem it
   necessary/advisable yourself -- the Debian package rules can take
   care of this as axiom stands.

2) system-independent stuff needs to go under /usr/share,
   system-dependent stuff under /usr/lib.  The sensible way to do this
   is to have one directory for axiom under /usr/lib, aggregate each
   category into separate subdirectories, as is mostly done at present
   (e.g. input has system-independent files only), move the
   subdirectory as a whole into the right place and symlink it back
   into the main file layout hierarchy.  The aggregation minimizes the
   number of needed symlinks.

3) There may also be system-dependent optional stuff -- it depends on
   the program.  I.e. there is a two by two grid, with the
   required/optional designation determined by a judgment call based
   on experience using of the program, and the dependent/independent
   designation being a function of the file type.   This said, there
   is some flexibility with system-independent files which are small.

4) You are exactly correct regarding the build process -- the various
   ports only compile the binary-dependent packages.  The
   binary-independent packages are built by the maintainer and
   uploaded only once.

Take care,