Re: [Axiom-developer] debian layout

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] debian layout
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:52:07 +0200

Hello,

To answer more precisely Camm question:

Tim Daly <address@hidden> writes:

> The .as files are there because in the fullness of time the plan calls
> for restoring aldor functionality (I'm now an Aldor developer). So
> they are "in plan" but not yet in use. Axiom has a couple "hanging"
> portions waiting for the missing functions to be rebuilt. This takes a
> surprisingly long time but there is progress you can't see because it
> is happening locally. Graphics test cases are there but the graphics
> code is not. However graphics code is coming to life and, hopefully,
> might see the light of day by the end of this summer.

So the .as files are nto strictly needed right now (they are currently
developer files and not user files, and as such are available in the CVS
and Arch trees). So they should not be in the debian package.

>>  What would you think of a (new) axiom-source-doc package that would
>>also include the output of noweave in .dvi or .ps or even .pdf.  I
>>mean giving the sources with their comments in typeset format as
>>expected by Tim from his literate programming pamphlets (maybe even
>>the typset makefile...).
>
> mnt/linux/doc contains .dvi files which are the output of running
> noweave -> latex -> dvi on the pamphlet files. The long term plan
> is to integrate the dvi files into the mythical new front end.
> I've skipped using pdf and ps as I consider them to be write-only
> formats (once info is in pdf or ps form I can't use it anywhere).
> However it is trivial to make pdf or ps files if we want since
> the dvi files exist. See, for example,
> mnt/linux/doc/src/algebra for the dvi files from the algebra code.

So the .dvi files are considered developer documentation. I would put it
in a axiom-developer-doc package (or whatever better name suits you).

My 0.02 cents,
Yours,
d.
--