Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicitdependencies, b

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicitdependencies, bootstrap, fixed-points etc.
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:54:04 -0500

Tim, Bill,

I attempted a build overnight with the updated bootstrap code for
single integer. I was trying to keep myself optimistic that this was
all of the bootstrap code which would need to be touched. Alas, a
simple substitution has not worked for me; the compilation choked soon
after I left the keyboard for the night.

It would seem that at least all of the bootstrap which involves SINT
needs to be rebuilt. My current list of such categories/domains is

SINT       BOOLEAN     COMRING     INT
RING       ISTRING     ABELMON     PI
RNG        LIST        SETCAT      CHAR
ABELGRP    NNI         SETCAT-     SYMBOL
CABMON     OUTFORM     UFD         DFLOAT
ABELMON    PI          GCDDOM      ILIST
ABELSG     PRIMARR     REF         VECTOR

Given that the list is quite long, and yet might still be incomplete,
perhaps we should dump all the bootstrap code and update all pamphlet
files?

If you agree this is a good move, perhaps we can think of the possible
advantage of automating the process. e.g. a make option to update the
related bootstrap pamphlet files with fresh code. I have a feeling,
however, that this is such a central aspect of the build it might
better be left as a `by hand process'. What do you think?

I am willing to do this work today if you like. Tim, would you prefer
to take this on given your expertise? If not, any words of wisdom? ;)

Cheers,
Steve