RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Mathaction edit/preview/save problem

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Mathaction edit/preview/save problem
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:27:00 -0500

William,

On Friday, January 14, 2005 5:49 PM you wrote:

> ... it only worked on the Sandbox page, where I was able to submit
> an edit for the MainPage (I entered "What is this?"). In fact that
> page worked (Preview/Save) even with the security setting on High.
>
> But when I tried to edit the DynamicFunctionDomains, it still says
> "This page cannot be displayed".

That is a different message than the one you reported first time.

On Thursday, January 13, 2005 4:47 AM you wrote:

> Here's is the edit on DynamicFunctionDomains page. When I
> tried preview and save, it said "cannot find server".

Do you really get two different messages? Does which message you
get depend on some firewall setting? Do you get the same message
in both Microsoft Explorer and Firefox?

"This page cannot be displayed" usually means that your
connection to the server is ok but that your browser received
something that it could not process. I have sometimes seen
this message if a web site takes a long time to reply. However
the correct message in that case should really be a "time out".

> This is not intermittent. Every time. It's not a DNS problem
> because I can click on to any link on the page and it displays.

I agree that the message "This page cannot be displayed" is
probably not a DNS problem. But the original message may have
been.

> I just added Hello to the Sandbox MainPage. I went right to
> the DynamicFunctionDomains and change (4,7) to (4,8) and click
> preview. Then it stalls and same problem.

When you say "stalls", how long do you estimate you had to wait
before you received the "This page cannot be displayed" message?

> It seems to be a write privilege denied type of problem to me.

No there are no controls write privileges on any page on MathAction
except for just one page. The page AxiomFoundation is the only
page that requires a real user id and password in order to change
it. This was done to protect potentially sensitive information
about the nature and purpose of the Foundation, funding etc. All
other pages on MathAction can be edited by anyone even if they
have not identified themselves.

Considering the new message that you reported: "This page cannot
be displayed" might possibily be caused by the fact that with each
change to a page MathAction must call Axiom in order to re-process
the enitire contents of the page. Perhaps some kind of time-out on
your browser, fireweall or other part of your local network occurs
that results in only partial content of the page being received.
The SandBox page that you edited did not have any Axiom commands so
in that case you did not get an error. But as I said I do not get
this message myself even when editing a page that contains many
Axiom commands.

Is there any setting on your firewall software that might affect
the time your system waits for a reply?

Is it possible for you to easily and temporarily turn off the
firewall software completely in order to see if that cures the
problem? If turning off the firewall works, then there is very
likely some setting in the firewall software that you can change
that will make it work without shutting it off.

Finally, do you have a different location (such as office at
work versus at home) where you can try to access MathAction
and make this change? At least if you can confirm that it works
for you at one location but not at another then it might be
easier to determine what is different and what to change.