[Axiom-developer] Lisp Packages and Axiom

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Lisp Packages and Axiom
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 07:30:29 -0800 (PST)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> another way to think about packages (implied by the name)
> is that you stuff all your random symbols, say foo, into
> your own package name (e.g. boot) and then you "export" some
> (export '(foo)) as an API. then other packages can "import"
> them using "use-package" which "interns" the "exported"
> names (copies the hash table entries

Back when we were discussing this in Maxima, one of my thoughts on this
issue was to associate lisp packages with mathematical "concepts"
(whatever that ment) in order to make it easier to map associations and
work on subsections of the program.  Maxima stuffed almost everything
into a MAXIMA package, and I was never really happy about that because
it made it difficult to say with certainty what impact any one change
might have.  Axiom is certainly better designed than Maxima so perhaps
my lisp package thought makes less sense here, but it still might make
it much easier to automatically "map" the system and how various parts
are related to each other - e.g. for a given symbol if it is internal a
mapping algorithm need only look within the one lisp package for
related components, not the whole program.

What was your plan for the overall structure in this regard Tim?

Cheers,
Cliff

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com