[Axiom-developer] Re: Lisp Packages and Axiom

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Lisp Packages and Axiom
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:44:14 -0800 (PST)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> > What was your plan for the overall structure in this regard
> > Tim?
>
> as part of the rewrite the interpreter, compiler, browser,
> graphics, numerics, and algebra will each be in their own
> packages which will make them much easier to separate and
> maintain.

Yay!

> at the moment they follow the MAXIMA model where everything
> is in one giant package.

Figured.

> this was reasonable at the time. back when hard disks for DOS
> first arrived there was no directory structure and a hard disk
> just looked like one big directory. package names were
> introduced late in the lifetime of lisp and most of the pre-
> package lisp systems were not well separated. rather than re-
> org the code everything got dumped into one package.

This is just a suggestion, but perhaps it would make sense at some
point to subdivide the algebra code somewhat?  From a more "end user"
perspective, perhaps physics related code could be separate from
chemistry related code?  Or (maybe) integration could be in a package,
and matrix handling in another, and floating point code in still
another?  (I imagine this would have to be expressed in Aldor/Spad as
well.)  I don't know if that could be done - maybe as part of mapping
the inter-relatedness of symbolic mathematics?

Cheers,
Cliff

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com