RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom bibliography

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom bibliography
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:47:50 -0400

On Wednesday, April 19, 2006 1:39 PM Bob McElrath wrote:
> Right now I have an experimental Plone site (because of
> the existence of the Bibliography Archetype -- same as
> Axiom Portal:
>     http://portal.axiom-developer.org/bibliography_view
> ).  Maybe I have missed it but I do not see a way to search the
> bibliography.

All items in the bibliography are automatically searched when
you do any search on the portal (search box in upper right
corner). You can control this if you click the 'Search' tab.

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/search_form

This "Advanced search" allows to search for only specific
content. All of the bibliography reference types appear as
separate 'portal types' - all having the word "reference"
in the type name.

It is easy to generate a URL that does a search of all
bibliograph entries. For example the following search finds
all entries containing the word "polynomial":

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/search?SearchableText=polynomial&porta
l_type%3Alist=ArticleReference&portal_type%3Alist=BookReference&portal_t
ype%3Alist=BookletReference&portal_type%3Alist=InbookReference&portal_ty
pe%3Alist=IncollectionReference&portal_type%3Alist=InproceedingsReferenc
e&portal_type%3Alist=ManualReference&portal_type%3Alist=MastersthesisRef
erence&portal_type%3Alist=MiscReference&portal_type%3Alist=PhdthesisRefe
rence&portal_type%3Alist=PreprintReference&portal_type%3Alist=Proceeding
sReference&portal_type%3Alist=TechreportReference&portal_type%3Alist=Unp
ublishedReference&portal_type%3Alist=WebpublishedReference&Creator=&subm
it=Search

Note: The above is all one long URL. Most email programs will
split this into multiple lines that must be re-joined before
use in a browser.

> Furthermore when viewing a bibliography entry it does not
> give you a concise identifier for each paper that you can \cite{},
> unless you go export to bibtex, then examine the output.

The page returned above has links formatted as follows:

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/refs/axiombib/Duval1992EPS

"Duval1992EPS" is the bibtex identifier assigned by Nelson Beebe.

The URL

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/refs/axiombib/Duval1992EPS/downloadFor

will provide the full bibtex entry.

> I would like to add search and \cite{} capability from wiki
> pages.  This would allow discussion of papers, and even
> back-references on the wiki! It would be super-sweet if the
> search could be done in a sidebar, next to the edit window,
> using AJAX, so that you could retrieve the identifier for
> \cite{} without having to open a new browser window.

So is this what you have in mind?

--------

Supposed in an Axiom wiki page I write:

   Blah, blah. Polynomial\cite{axiombib/Duval1992EPS} are
   treated ...

In this case what will we see rendered on the page?

             1
   Polynomial  are treated ...

with the 1 hyperlinked to a brief formatted reference at the
bottom of the page?

  ..1 D Duval and F Jung  (1992)
  Examples of problem solving using computer algebra

which in turn is hyperlinked to full reference at

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/refs/axiombib/Duval1992EPS