[Axiom-developer] axiom opportunity

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] axiom opportunity
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:53:00 -0400

It appears that China has introduced a debian-based $146 (U.S. dollar)
computer called "Municator".

Axiom has been shown to run on Yellow Dog, which is a chinese
language version of linux.

I think we need to start positioning ourselves to be the computer
algebra system for these linux systems. Which implies we spend
some time trying to get axiom working in conjunction with things
like Open Office.

Open Office has a component that creates mathematical equations
but does little else. We could use this component as a front end
and overtake its current use by adding a combination of tools
under the math component.

We could combine open office math with the lex editor (for literate
programs) and axiom. Someone could study the various components and
do a high level design document that would coordinate combining the
components. Are there any 'software designers' in on the mailing list?

A widespread adoption of an axiom/OO math tool would also raise the
issue of B-natural rather quickly since people will certainly
complain about user interaction issues.

Trying to work with open office as a front-end will certainly
force axiom's user interface to mature rapidly.

Comments?