Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom opportunity

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom opportunity
Date: 26 Apr 2006 18:06:33 +0200

"David MENTRE" <address@hidden> writes:

| Hello,
|
| 25 Apr 2006 21:40:01 +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden>:
| > We should aim at getting Axiom 'easily' installable on all major linux
| > systems -- not just Debian.
| > [ I'm not saying that because I'm a SuSE Linux user :-) ]
|
| So why don't you package Axiom for SuSE ?

Because I don't want to package it just for SuSE -- I might switch to or
acquire a new Unix variant in the future.  Furthermore, I consider
that approach a rathole[1]: which version of SuSE?  I certanly don't have
a standard SuSE installation and my working version is probably too
old by many standards.  I want to have Axiom in a form where I could
just type "./configure; make; make install" and be done with it.  See the
Autoconf suggestion in a different thread.  But I would
like Axiom to be better than that; that is the reason why I talked to
Benjamin Kosnik about distribution when we met two-three weeks ago.  See the
"cross compilation issue" in another thread.  I also briefly discussed
the issue with Paolo Carlini,  fellow libstdc++ maintainer, working
for SUSE.

Best,

[1] I had had a version of Maple working well till two years ago I
upgraded to a newer linux version that was using a new version of
glibc.  My copy of Maple stopped working.