RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Emacs + input syntax

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Emacs + input syntax
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 18:09:50 -0400

Gaby, Ralf,

On Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:58 PM you wrote:

> Bill Page writes:
>
> | On Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:01 PM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> | > I would always suggest to forget about the #pile mode when
> | > you program in Aldor ...
> |
> | Why? Your suggestion seems to me only a kind of
> | linguist prejudice.
>
> I think I'm with Ralf here.  I find the pile notation highly
> confusing and irritating when editing.  It is one of the
> downsides I find with Python, Haskell, Axiom, etc.  For me,
> it isn't different those infamous "tabs" in Makefiles.  It
> is a relic from stone ages we should not carry over.

In what sense is this notation "a relic"? Do you know other
"ancient" languages (besides SPAD) that used this syntax?

> Your mileage may vary.

It does. :-)

Can either of you give any objective argument about why
you prefer to write in a serialized one-dimensional manner,
encoding nested structures with the bracket (or even a
parenthesis) notation, instead of using the natural two
dimensional nature of the display media to express this
structure more succinctly?

If not, my label of "linguist prejudice" must surely apply.