Re: [Axiom-developer] Problem building SIlver Axiom on Gentoo Linux

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Problem building SIlver Axiom on Gentoo Linux
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:24:43 +0200

On 07/30/2006 08:10 PM, root wrote:
I've tried to get debian running several times without success.
I downloaded a 9 CD Debian set, spent half a day trying to install
it and it fails. Bad karma, I guess.

But you have Fedora running, and I believe that it comes with a Subversion package. ;-)

On the other hand, I have to say that I don't have the cycles
available to keep Gold and Silver in sync. It's not for lack
of desire, it's lack of time.

No problem Tim, if you don't want to bother with Silver too much then just make your most recent Gold branch available as a tla archive on

http://axiom-developer.org/archive/axiom

and call it Silver. Gaby if you agree we should keep that branch in sync with the SVN trunk.

When I agreed to the SVN repository I was under the impression that
there was a demand for a place where users could create clone systems
so they could pursue their own goals, similar to what I do locally.

Yes, sure, but SVN let's you also create branches, and there is no reason to have the latest patches that are applied to the "next-release-gold" also to the silver (trunk). In fact, I strongly believe

  next-release-gold  == silver/trunk                            (*)

There was never an understanding on my part that I'd be doing any
maintenance on it.

IIRC, I once set up a tla working copy that was at the same time a SVN working copy. It would actually be easy to keep (*) in sync via such a working copy.

But even if we agree that (*) does not hold and we have to send "diff -Naur" patches via the mailing list to Tim it would be just perfect to have Tim's "next-release-gold" somewhere available.

Gaby, if you agree on this "special working copy" I could try to figure out how I did that and send you the algorithm to set it up. (I think, that you should be the maintainer of it. And nobody else would be allowed to commit to silver/trunk.)

Ralf