Re: [Axiom-developer] Problem building SIlver Axiom on Gentoo Linux

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Problem building SIlver Axiom on Gentoo Linux
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:43:40 +0200

So patches get collected and the Gold copy is built/tested/ported
every 2 months or so.

No problem. But we should also start to think about freezing the "next-release-gold", call it "GoldAxiomVersion-x.y-ReleaseCandidate", make it available publicly and post to the mailing list that everyone should test it on his/her system to find problems. If there is no problem reported anymore, Tim could turn the release-candidate into a true Gold-release.

That process would share the workload of Tim and prevent things that happened once with releasing a broken Gold system.

Gold gets released every couple months. Silver can do a simple
  diff -r --brief Gold Silver
to see exact changes.

That is too late. People want to see the hottest edge.

next-release-gold == silver/trunk

I am very much in favour of that. And I thought that was the idea from the beginning---mirror the hottest edge on sourceforge.net.

If I took on the responsibility of doing immediate patches to Silver that would completely negate the whole "update rate"
balance discussion. You can't just throw a patch at a system.
You have to check it. That takes time even for simple patches.
For instance, I have a simple fix to the Makefiles for libXpm
that makes the system compile correctly on FC5. However, it
breaks Redhat systems. So if I just applied the patch to Silver
without testing some of the users would have broken code.

Tim, if someone is willingly not taking the Gold release, but decides for Silver==(all patches applied to the latest Gold release), s/he should know that things might be broken. But that is not a bug, it's a feature. People could help to figure out why the system doesn't build and could supply another patch to you. If they just see Gold and not the latest patches+bugfixes, people might find just bugs that are already fixed. It's a waste of time and might make people turn away from Axiom.

There are things that only I can do

For example?

Ralf