Re: [Axiom-developer] version control

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] version control
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:37:39 -0400

> | 2) what kind of environment do you expect if you want to write
> | a new axiom domain? if you do:
> |
> | )compile mynewfoo.pamphlet
> |
> | does it build the documentation?
>
> *optionally*
>
> | does it update the browser?
>
> when it builds the documentation.
>
> | does it hyperlink to your video information?
>
> *optionally*
>
> | does it allow drag-and-drop of new domains?
>
> *optionally*
>
> | or does it simply extract the computer program and compile it?
>
> depends on the options.

you see, we differ on fundamental philosophy.

you believe that the important part is the programming language code.
you believe that latex failures are just annoying and can be skipped.
you believe that documentation comes AFTER working code.
you believe that it is important to write for the machine.
therefore, dcoumentation, hyperdocs, video, etc are optional.

i believe that the whole literate document is important.
i believe that a latex failure is as fundamental as a programming failure.
i believe that documentation IS working code.
i believe that it is important to write for the future.
therefore, dcoumentation, hyperdocs, video, etc ARE "source code".

i used to believe what you believe which is why axiom is so poorly
documented. if we had thought about what was important we would now
have a fully documented interpreter, compiler, makefiles, boot
language and spad language. the algebra would include the theory and,
if the technology was available, we would have videos of Manuel
Bronstein explaining his code. Instead we have this pile of "just the
important stuff" because documentation was optional and an afterthought.

the mistake you are making can only be seen in the light of history.
but with 35 years of axiom experience we CAN see the mistake.