RE: [Axiom-developer] Latex hangs

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Latex hangs
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:40:53 -0400

Tim,

On October 24, 2006 2:28 PM you asked:

> What is the state of SVN on axiom-developer?

SVN client version 1.4 and SVK both work fine. I still have
a problem installing SVN server because that requires a newer
version of Apache then we are currently running. I downloaded
and compiled a new version of Apache but I ran into trouble
because the httpd.conf we use is quite complicated and it did
not translate directly to the new version of Apache and I was
afraid to cause too much disruption to people who were accessing
the server. At that point I ran out of time, went off to Seattle,
started playing with Sage, etc. etc. and have not yet got back
to resolving the problem with installing the new Apache. I don't
think the problems are that significant. I think just the
configuration file needs appropriate tweaking.

After the new version of Apache is installed then completing
the SVN server installation *should* be straight-forward -
but would be an unexpected pleasure because nothing I have
done with SVN so far has been easy. :-( If I get two days to
rub together, I should be able to finish this. Anyone willing
to help?

> Do you feel it can be used?

You can create repositories, no problem. But you just can't
access then except locally via file:///

> If I try to update it with the changes what breaks?

Nothing (I think) but you can only do that as a local user
logged into via ssh to axiom-developer.org.

BTW, if you are concerned about continuing problems trying
to update the SVN repository at SourceForge but are still
willing to give SVN a change, you might want to try updating
the repository at Google Code. I have had fewer problems (:
but not no problems :) accessing SVN at Google. If you do
update something there, I think I can figure out how to
automatically propagate the change back to SourceForge via
SVK on axiom-developer (maybe).