[Axiom-developer] Re: notangle

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: notangle
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:25:41 -0500

Waldek Hebisch wrote:

You may have just become the poster child for those trying to debunk
the "lisp is slow" myth ;-).
Do not be too eager with this. It is clear that even for strings
hashtables take a lot of time.  We are forced to do an otherwise
useless copy to string to avoid huge slowdon.  And in the main
loop the code is clearly worse then the code from a C compiler.
So the program is probably faster than similar Perl or Python
programs, but slower than good C version.

Don't worry - I'm not usually one to get involved with language
wars anyway.  But I think by any measure we would want to worry
about this result is excellent - after all, notangle as a percentage
of the total build time looks to be pretty small, so at some point
the time put in to optimize further reaches diminishing returns.
This solution should integrate well with Axiom, perform very well,
and can be expanded upon for other uses (like the SPAD compiler).

Thanks for all the effort to fix my original code - I'll see if
I can make defstruct work and get something that will do for
GCL as well.

(One question - I thought read-sequence was part of the ANSI
Common Lisp spec?  Is it just that GCL hasn't implemented it yet?
Of course it's not so critical since we aren't running on the
ANSI image yet anyway.)

Cheers,
CY