Re: [Axiom-developer] Boot and other Lisps

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Boot and other Lisps
Date: 13 Mar 2007 08:46:52 -0500

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

| --- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:
|

| > Howdy!
| >
| >   As of revision 445, bootsys from src/boot in build-improvements
| > can be built with GCL, SBCL, CLISP.  Just configure with the option
| >
| >      --with-lisp=<your lisp command>
|
| EXCELLENT!
|
| > That was an opportunity to clean up src/boot/Makefile.pamphlet a bit.
| > I merged boothdr.lisp, npextras.lisp and exports.lisp in a single
| > file, initial-env.lisp, which I augmented with functions to interface
| > with the build machinery.
|
| Interface in the sense of getting variable settings from the autoconf
| system?

Currently, interface in the sense of abstracting over the various many
ways to save Lisp image, compile Lisp files, and build executable out
of previously compiled Lisp files.  It seems every single Lisp
implementation wants to explore the implementation-defined space on its own.

| > I've not tempted to build src/interp yet -- and it is not going to be
| > an easy party.
|
| No.  Is the plan to alter the boot files to use Shoe, or simply tweak
| the interp system as is to run?

Two overriding goals:
   (1) build all the rest of src/interp with Shoe
   (2) correct and simplify the interface with the C world (possibly
       reusing various Lisp extensions where available)

| > Building bootsys with SBCL and CLISP is amazingly fast, compared to
| > building with GCL.
|
| Really?  SBCL is not surprising, but I would have expected Clisp to be
| a lot slower.  Interesting.

Well, for the specific case of src/boot, that is what happened.  I was
quite impressed -- with GCL, I would have got the time to make coffee;
I couldn't with CLISP and SBCL.

I found SBCL notes and diagnostics sometime interesting.

| Thanks Gaby for all of your hard work!

You're welcome.

Another project would be to start annotating Boot codes with type, so
that the translation can automatically insert proclamations and
assertions.  But that is not for today, I've got lot to catch on
during this break.