Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Guessing package, was: Re: your program / pape

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Guessing package, was: Re: your program / paper
Date: 20 Mar 2007 11:49:23 -0500

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

| On March 20, 2007 12:23 PM Gaby wrote:
| >
| > Bill Page writes:
| >
| > [...]
| >
| > | I would like to proposed to Gaby and Waldek that we go ahead
| > | and establish wh-sandbox as the new trunk in svn at Sourceforge
| > | as soon as possible. When that is done, I think it would be
| > | appropriate to prepare up to date "Silver" binaries for as
| > | wide a range of hardware/operating systems as possible. I
| > | think that where it is possible, we should also include Aldor
| > | in these binaries.
| >
| > Instead of constantly changing branches for "new silver", I
| > would rather see a backport for specific changes from wh-sandbox
| > to build-improvements,  and then when its status is clear to
| > what is still called "Silver".
| >
| > Waldek sent a list ago (I don't have that mail right now), we
| > should work out the details for backport.
| >

| That would certainly be fine with me. The main reason that I
| currently favour wh-sandbox is that Waldek recently "backported"
| a selection of revisions from build-improvements to wh-sandbox.

Yes, but that is fine.  It is normal process for branches to sync with
what they branched from even when they are going to backport.  In
fact, that should be the procedure for unconfusing backport.

| But I am not completely certain of the status of all potential
| revisions that we might want to include in a new "Silver". Of
| course I am especially concerned about the ability to build on
| Windows but I haven't tested this yet.

The recent discussions with Tim, and the various tentative of
recreating new "Silvers" have made me less sympathetic to recreate yet
another silver.  Let's stick to a single point of reference.

| From my point of view, the creation of a new "Silver" trunk is
| a little overdue.

We need an "upgraded" silver branch for sure.  However, we do have
severe communication problems.

Let's upgrade build-improvements with backports from wh-sandbox.

| Unfortunately only you and Waldek are really
| in a good position to do this. But with your direction I am
| certainly willing to help - especially in testing of the new
| release.

I would really like to the fixes Waldek implemented to the Axiom
community.  Today is already overbooked for me [yeah, spring break was
over before it started].  But, tomorrow might be better.