[Axiom-developer] RE: [Axiom-mail] Two beginner questions

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Axiom-mail] Two beginner questions
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:01:43 -0400

Martin,

On April 10, 2007 10:52 AM Martin Rubey wrote:

> "Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Martin, your "advice" is confusing. TeXmacs starts it's own
> > copy of Axiom. It cannot use a previously started process.
>
> I didn't say that the first process should be used by TeXmacs.
> It is just there for HyperDoc to pop up.

Ok.

> OK, I didn't know that TeXmacs uses AXIOMsys. So, maybe it is
> possible to modify TeXmacs to start HyperDoc?

Yes, it is possible. There are some instructions for this on
the wiki somewhere I think. Of course it is only applicable to
TeXmacs running on Linux. This also enables the use of Axiom
graphics.

> Alternatively, write a script that first starts axiom normally
> (such that HyperDoc can be used) and then starts TeXmacs
> (which will start it's own axiom mode, of course)

Ok.

> > Sorry, but Summer of Code application deadline was March 26.
>
> LispNYC says that their deadline is today.

Student applications closed March 26. Today (April 10) is the
day that all applications must have assigned mentors. Revisions
and comments on applications submitted before March 26 will be
accepted until April 11 at which point the winners will be
posted by Google.

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topic=10729

But Google has been juggling these dates a little, perhaps there
is a little slack, however I do not think any new applications
are being accepted.

Unfortunately we did not receive any eligible applications from
students regarding Axiom. :-( I think we should try to analyze
why that happened. Although I do think that Lisp is an important
programming language, I fear that Axiom's association with Lisp
is of very little benefit to Axiom. It seems that very of the
already very few student Lisp programmers are really interested
in Axiom... Does anyone have any other ideas about why we did
not receive any applications?

>  If I misunderstood, please remove the advertisment on the
> Frontpage.

I have just updated FrontPage.