Re: [Axiom-developer] (Possible) reasons Axiom didn't appeal to SoC code

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] (Possible) reasons Axiom didn't appeal to SoC coders...
Date: 10 Apr 2007 17:28:52 -0500

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > * I do not know enough about the boot/lisp internals of axiom
|
| I think that's a problem with many potential Axiom projects.  I know I
| certainly don't have enough knowledge currently to act as a mentor.

At this point, there is no much to improve at the boot/lisp internals
per see.  But, you definitely want to integrate the new parser into
the compiler and share more between in the intepreter and the
compiler.

Also, people should really look at the trace file and try to correct
the algebra files -- there are quite a few bugs there.

[...]

| > I am not sure what I can ask for, I only know what would be most
| > helpful (regarding non-mathematical projects):
| >
| > * HyperDoc or a HyperDoc replacement on Windows
|
| One question - as I understand it, AXIOMsys works on Windows but the
| parent program axiom does not.  Would a HyperDoc for Windows also
| require a new communications mechanism?  Doing this straight from lisp
| (ala hunchentoot or something similar) would be my preference, but
| again it's probably not simple.

I see no fundamental reason why both process should not be threads in
the same problem and therefore bypass the socket stuff.  From my
perspective, that is just another over-engineering aspect of Axiom.
Notice that if you use sockets, the the anti-virus firewall will
consider Axiom as a program that wants access to network and it might
be blocked; then the anti-virus will ask you whether you want to grant
access or not.  That is silly.