[Axiom-developer] directory/truename transition

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] directory/truename transition
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:40:31 -0500

Camm,

> I would love Tim's and all the other developers' blessings as to
> which snapshot of which branch is worthy to represent axiom in
> Debian. Do we have consensus yet? I can work with either, new or
> old.

I don't think you're going to ever get consensus.
But you can have my opinion. :-)

In order to understand my response better let me rephrase your
question in terms of GCL. If there were several branches of GCL which
one should be "published" as "GCL"? My opinion is that it should be
the stable version of the trunk. Special needs people can always fetch
from a CVS latest trunk or branch. Both GCL-2.6.8pre and GCL-2.7.0
have features but are still changing.

Based on that I believe that the Debian version should be based on the
last stable version of the system which is available everywhere
else. Thus I believe that we should "publish" as "Axiom" the version
from address@hidden, address@hidden, or address@hidden, all of
which are identical. Thus, address@hidden would also be identical.

When we promote silver to the gold version I will be pushing out a
new stable release to all of the sites. If Ondrej and you are able
to help we can also bring the Debian version up to date at that time.