Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlets and LaTex

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlets and LaTex
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:02:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:

> C Y <address@hidden> writes:
> > Well, that discussion is tied up with what we want pamphlets to do
> > ;-).
>
> Not really.  Even if all we want is functionality equivalent to what
> noweb provides, my objections to using LaTex are still relevant.  It
> just so happens that when considering new functionality, the
> difficulties become even more involved.

I think I'm understanding enough to agree that the weave step should
stay with us.

> From the start I suggested we use a simple noweb-like syntax and go
> from there, as I feel it is sufficient to build further functionality
> on top of in the future.

I would tend to agree.

> > If that is acceptable, it is almost certainly possible to have the
> > finite state based cl-web support it.  Unless you prefer to remove
> > the finite state based code regardless, I can take a stab at adding
> > this functionality and doing some basic demos.
>
> I have absolutely no issue with you working on cl-web.  I have issues
> with the code.  If the end result is that we have 350 lines of code
> which is opaquely indexing raw arrays, and which still needs to be
> macro expanded into a state machine (as is the case currently with
> cl-web), I will need to object.

Fair enough.  I have a feeling I know the answer, but just to be sure -
is there anything I can do on the documentation side that will make it
less opaque?

> As you know, I am working on my own
> implementation which handles a more general chunk structure then
> cl-web and it does its work in 100 clean lines without copious use of
> macros.  Of course, my objection may not count for much in the end.

That sounds preferable to me in concept as well.  I originally didn't
start with the state machine - that was driven by performance concerns
only.

Gaby, you originally replied that you thought the speed was important:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2007-02/msg00154.html
I would appreciate it if you could weigh in on this discussion, when
you get a chance.

> So basically, if it is something you want to do, go for it :) If
> someone tells me they think some work of mine is flawed in some way
> that would not necessarily stop me from plugging away at it!

It's more a question of "what do I do to best forward the goal of no
one having to come back and do this again later?"  cl-web was
apparently a failure in that respect - my current goal is to understand
what needs to be done to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Cheers,
CY