Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlets and LaTex

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlets and LaTex
Date: 19 Jul 2007 04:03:04 -0500

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

| Gaby, you originally replied that you thought the speed was important:
| http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2007-02/msg00154.html
| I would appreciate it if you could weigh in on this discussion, when
| you get a chance.

I have been trying desperately to stay quiet in this discussion. :-)

>From my perspective, a replacement of noweb with a noticeable increase
of build time is non tolerable.  I value developer time as much as
I value user time.  Longer build time means few build cycles.

I'll seen the slipery slope in GCC come the point where even people
who previously supported increase time will now ferously fight any
measurable increase, be it 0.5%.

So my conclusion is:

  (1) ideally, we should not increase build time.  And if we must, then
      there must be clearly identified benefits that we believe
      are good for the long term.

  (2) we should not gratuiteously break development environments.

[...]

| > So basically, if it is something you want to do, go for it :) If
| > someone tells me they think some work of mine is flawed in some way
| > that would not necessarily stop me from plugging away at it!
|
| It's more a question of "what do I do to best forward the goal of no
| one having to come back and do this again later?"  cl-web was
| apparently a failure in that respect - my current goal is to understand
| what needs to be done to ensure it doesn't happen again.

We are dealing with computers and software, not abstract theorems :-)