Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:49:06 -0400

On 7/29/07, Jocelyn Guidry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Would the Fricas project better suit your needs and vision for an open
> source CAS?  If not, why?

Yes, from a technical point of view FriCAS currently does better suit
my needs for a ScratchPad-like CAS because of improvements in FriCAS
that are not yet part of Axiom, but I would have to say that it does
not really suit my vision for an open source CAS.  My vision would be
for a project that has a strong appeal both, to a large number of
talented mathematicians as a collaborative research platform and to a
large number of advance users of computer algebra. Because of it's
history I think Axiom has a better chance of this than a project that
was created as a fork of Axiom.