Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:25:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Jocelyn Guidry wrote:

| Gaby,
| Thanks for responding.  This is my "why?"
| I've
| been following the recent postings and have noticed that many are
| political and personal, not technical.  I probably wade a toe depth
| into the technical end of the pond, maybe less.  That said, all of this
| discord affects my personal life so I am trying to understand it.  I am
| qualified for political and personal.:-)

this issue affects, I believe, the personal life of many people.

However, I'm not certain the issue is entirely personal or political.

| > Borrowing a metaphor from a friend, it is like trying to get five cars
| > to California with only four drivers; standard disclaimer included.
|
| Meaning the limited resource of developers?

limited, scarce, resource of contributors; yes, that is one aspect of it.

| > Ideally, I would like a system that gets in a state that attracts the
| > working mathematicians, in the very short term; not in 30 years.
|
| Two questions:
| 1.  Isn't that Fricas' direction?
| 2.  Was it not clear that Axiom's fundamental goals and direction at it's
inception as this project, were for the long term, LP and documentation?

Some people seem to believe that the point of disagreement is that of
LP and documentation.  That is strawman argument -- at least, as far as
I'm concerned or I'm linked to the disagreement.  I've already expressed
my points here many times, and recently posted a link a publically available
document that outlines my views.  As you would notice, they are mostly
technical.