Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas

From: Jocelyn Guidry
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

Gaby,
Thanks for responding.  This is my "why?"
I've been following the recent postings and have noticed that many are political and personal, not technical.  I probably wade a toe depth into the technical end of the pond, maybe less.  That said, all of this discord affects my personal life so I am trying to understand it.  I am qualified for political and personal.:-)

Borrowing a metaphor from a friend, it is like trying to get five cars
to California with only four drivers; standard disclaimer included.

Meaning the limited resource of developers?

Ideally, I would like a system that gets in a state that attracts the
working mathematicians, in the very short term; not in 30 years.

Two questions:
1.  Isn't that Fricas' direction?
2.  Was it not clear that Axiom's fundamental goals and direction at it's inception as this project, were for the long term, LP and documentation?

I fundamentally disagree with the opinion that welcomes the fork so as
to have the perfect asnwer "go away; go to Fricas."

I do not believe that anyone "welcomes" a fork.  It appears that there is a fundamental divergence of direction and resulting cleaving of flesh.  That's painful.  I can see "welcoming" the cessation of pain, finish the tear so the flesh can heal.  My toe is hurting.  It must be much worse for others.

Do you see this divergence as anything but inevitable?  Is that so bad?  Doesn't it give more choices for developmental models to use?  Do you see anyway these two paths can run concurrently and then merge?  If not, then you can't stop the river.  Let it flow and pick which side to build your house. I ask these questions to you because you seem to be the most vocally discontented.  I do apologize in advance to you or anyone having to deal with my ignorance or naivete of situation and past discussions.  My intent is not to frustrate or stir discord but maybe offer a fresh observations.

Enjoy the conference!
Jocelyn