[Axiom-developer] Symbolic Algorithms Standards

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Symbolic Algorithms Standards
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 22:54:14 -0400 (EDT)

The time has come, it seems to me, to organize an effort to
collect and standardize symbolic algorithms, similar in spirit
to the NIST Handbook of Mathematical Functions.

It should be possible to order algorithm development for things
like integration, starting with Liouville's work, then Risch, etc.
The idea is to provide the algorithm and a series of improvements
in some reasonably accessible pseudocode, perhaps with some
agreed-upon benchmark of time and space complexity. There should
also be an associated website with a cache of the papers for each
algorithm. The book would be updated yearly with new developments.

I have been collecting bibliographic references as part of the
Axiom project and have recently started organizing them by topic.
http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/bookvolbib.pdf

Is a NIST-like algorithm collection reasonable? Opinions welcome.

Tim Daly
address@hidden