axiom-math

RE: [Axiom-math] texmacs

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-math] texmacs
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:00:41 -0500

On January 24, 2006 2:10 PM Yigal Weinstein wrote:

> Does anyone use and obtain graphics through the draw()
> command using texmacs as an interface to axiom.   If so
> please tell me how you managed this.

At the present time this will only work on the Linux version
of Axiom.

> I have heard that the following method works:
>
> 1. get texmacs souce

You only really need the source of tm_axiom.c

> 2. get tm_axiom.c
>  alter this file so that if there exists a call to
>  AXIOMsys change to axiom

See below.

> 3. compile tm_axiom.c

Yes. Make sure the new binary replaces the existing one.

> 4. compile texmacs

This is not necessary.

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-10/msg00116.html

See http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/TeXmacs for mor information.

> Also if anyone has been able to get inline graphics in
> texmacs I would really like to know- this would be really
> nice.

As far as I know, no one has done this. Certainly it is technically
possible, though perhaps a little difficult because of the way
Axiom uses another process to render graphics. This external graphics
processor can be told to save the result in a postscript format
file, then it can be imported by TeXmacs or sent via a stream
to TeXmacs from the tm_axiom interface program.

If you are motivated to work on implementing a solution to this,
I would be glad to help.

> thanks for reading

Thanks for asking :) If you can think of a way of updating the
web page at

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/TeXmacs

so that this issue is more clearly documented, I would be very
happy if you (or anyone else) could improve the content. (This
web site is an Axiom community wiki - editable website.)

Regards,
Bill Page.