axiom-math

RE: [Axiom-math] TexMacs Windows Axiom<->Maxima incompatible (DLL?)

From: Herb Martin
Subject: RE: [Axiom-math] TexMacs Windows Axiom<->Maxima incompatible (DLL?)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:49:54 -0600

> > The installation program installed shortcuts that point
> > directly to axiomsys and I have to start TexMacs
> > (tm_axiom.exe) separately.
>
> tm_axiom.exe is **not** TeXmacs! You need to install
> TeXmacs separately. See:
>
> http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/windows.en.html

Ok, I was confused about this part, but I had already
installed TexMacs according to that page.

        wintexmacs-1.0.5.exe

This page seemed to indicate this...

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/TeXmacs

...but on re-reading it, now it seems to say that
tm_axiom is:

"A new version of the Axiom interface program
tm_axiom that was written especially for Windows
is included in the latest Axiom for Windows
installation program. This will be used
automatically by the native windows version of
TeXmacs."

I took "interface program" to mean that which
will display the output (i.e., what TexMacs
presumably does) and apparently (now) it really
means "the program that TexMacs talks to..."

Or else there is NO connection between TexMacs
and Axiom (except through manual transfer)?????

On an old message there was a statement that said
that the drawing did NOT work on Windows -- is this
still true?  NO drawing?

This page indicates that TexMacs can use Axiom and
a variety of other programs as "plug-ins":
http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/plugins/cas.en.html#axiom

Likely I haven't done whatever is necessary to hook up
TexMacs to Axiom -- or else I misunstand what they
do together.

In general, I was expecting something like the Windows
version of Maxima-TeXmacs.  It this completely wrong?

> There is more information about the TeXmacs interface for
> Axiom and specifically Axiom on Windows here:
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/TeXmacs
>

> > There doesn't even seem to be any sman.exe included.
> >
> > [No bat or cmd files in my Axiom directory tree;
> > there are a bunch of bat files in my separately
> > downloaded (and apparently incompatible) WinTexMacs
> > directory, but they all seem to be within the ghostscript
> > subtree.]
>
> Why do you say they are "apparently incompatible"? WinTeXmacs
> should work wint Axiom for Windows "right out of the box".

I think it is (only) the TexMacs stand-alone
load that is incompatible with the Maxima built-in
TexMacs (likely one of the required DLLs is using
the same name but a different version.)