Re: [Bayonne-devel] Re: Specifications for bayonne system.

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Bayonne-devel] Re: Specifications for bayonne system.
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:33:42 -0400

At minimum, with selective and optimized configuration at compile time, it is
possible to run Bayonne on a 486 sx with 12 megs of memory.  Tuning is most
useful on a system that is being loaded with other tasks or with very high
port densities.  The most immediately useful thing to do in that case is to
set policy = rr and the base priority to at least "1" in [threads].  This
will gaurentee Bayonne uses soft realtime scheduling, and that it will run at
a higher priority than most other processes.  Setting "pages" is also useful,
as it will lock memory down and keep Bayonne from being swapped.   The rest
is more a matter of specific tuning, whether for memory (such as symbol
default and page sizes), or for performance of subsystems within Bayonne
(such as priority of audio threads vs other Bayonne threads...).