bbdb-user

Re: Bug in BBDB3 for wanderlust

From: N. Jackson
Subject: Re: Bug in BBDB3 for wanderlust
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 16:07:59 -0400

At 14:18 -0400 on Saturday 2019-09-21, Greg Bognar wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't notice any difference after applying the patch.  My
> bbdb
> settings are:
>
> (bbdb-initialize 'wl)
> (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'wl)
> (load "~/.emacs.d/filters") ;; Filters for BBDB
> (setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create)
>       bbdb-update-records-p 'query
>       bbdb-mua-auto-update-p 'search)
> (setq bbdb-file "~/.emacs.d/bbdb"
>       bbdb-mua-pop-up-window-size 2
>       bbdb-layout 'one-line
>       bbdb-pop-up-window-size 5
>       bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling t)
> (add-hook 'bbdb-notice-mail-hook 'bbdb-auto-notes)
>
> When I open an email from an address that's in my database, I do get a pop-up
> window with the record.  When the email is from an address that's not in the
> database, nothing seems to happen; I don't get queried about adding it.  (That
> was the desired behavior.)

Sorry to jump in in the middle of the conversation, but for the
behaviour your want do you not need

  (setq bbdb-mua-auto-update-p 'query)

?

>From the doc string:

  bbdb-mua-auto-update-p is a variable defined in `bbdb.el'.
  Its value is `bbdb-select-message'

  Documentation:
  How `bbdb-mua-auto-update' updates BBDB records automatically.

  Allowed values are (here ADDRESS is an email address found in a message):
   nil          Do nothing.
   search       Search for existing records matching ADDRESS.
   update       Search for existing records matching ADDRESS;
                  update name and mail field if necessary.
   query        Search for existing records matching ADDRESS;
                  query for creation of a new record if the record does not
exist.
   create or t  Search for existing records matching ADDRESS;
                  create a new record if it does not yet exist.
   a function   This functions will be called with no arguments.
                  It should return one of the above values.
                  For an example, see `bbdb-select-message' with
                  `bbdb-mua-update-records-p', `bbdb-accept-message-alist'
                  and `bbdb-ignore-message-alist'.

Regards,
N.