bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Linux Start-up Time?

From: Hossein S. Zadeh
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Linux Start-up Time?
Date: 21 Jul 2003 10:41:35 +1000

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 11:19, Zoup wrote:
> On Sunday 20 July 2003 14:46, Hooman Baradaran wrote:
> > Hello,
> > For some reason my Mandrake Linux loads MUCH slower than Windoz XP. I also
> > have Knoppix and it takes less time to load than Mandrake even though it is
> > on a CD but still it is much slower than XP.

Hi there,
I let you in a secret: Microsoft does a nice trick here!!!

OK, le'me explain:

Booting XP "appears" much faster than other systems, because XP loads up
the initial login prompt before other services. You'll notice this, as
the system stays "busy" for quite a while after the login prompt is
presented to the user.

Most other systems however, (Linux included) start all system-wide
services before they allow the user to login.

But all is not lost... I think Linux may be moving toward providing the
same "speed-up". I know that at least Suse uses the same technique to
provide a much faster boot time (from the user's perspective).

cheers,
Hossein