bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Linux Start-up Time?

From: Hooman Baradaran
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Linux Start-up Time?
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:26:53 -0400

> OK, le'me explain:
>
> Booting XP "appears" much faster than other systems, because XP loads up
> the initial login prompt before other services. You'll notice this, as
> the system stays "busy" for quite a while after the login prompt is
> presented to the user.
>
> Most other systems however, (Linux included) start all system-wide
> services before they allow the user to login.
>
> But all is not lost... I think Linux may be moving toward providing the
> same "speed-up". I know that at least Suse uses the same technique to
> provide a much faster boot time (from the user's perspective).
>
> cheers,
> Hossein

I knew that about Windoz but in Windoz XP after about 10 seconds after logging
in the system appears ready, the internet works and I don't hear a lot of
activity from hard drive.

I didn't know SuSE does that. So either I'll do the same trick in Mandrake (if
I can) or just give SuSE a try.

Thanks!

--
Hooman Baradaran