bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] About Network Troubleshooting.

From: Hossein S. Zadeh
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] About Network Troubleshooting.
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:26:17 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Zoup wrote:

> On Thursday 21 August 2003 01:50, Seyyed Mehdi Sheikhalishahi wrote:
> > Hi All
> >  In our lab we have some computers that connected via LAN.We have a
> > Linux computer that is our server,It support FTP server .when other
> > computers on the lab want to connect to FTP server It consume very
> > time,But when another computer connect that is support Internet
> > connection sharing(XP) to the Internet problem sovled.
> > What's problem?

Hi there,
It is a name look up problem. The server tries to find out who's
connecting, but I bet my last dollar that you don't have any name server
properly setup to resolve IP address of the clients to names. The server
tries to reverse-lookup, and it has to time out before it can proceed.
Just set up a small nameserver for the local NET, or put IP/names of the
clients in /etc/hosts of the server.

Hossein