bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Normal user called root [was:Download a File Via wget]

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Normal user called root [was:Download a File Via wget]
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:55:36 +0300

On Saturday 23 August 2003 19:08, Zoup wrote:
> On Saturday 23 August 2003 18:48, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > So, you mean there are linux books in farsi? I didn't know it. It
> > should be a new thing, because when I was in Iran, I never saw such
> > a book.
> >
> > As for the quality, yes, I also didn't like any farsi translated
> > book, so way back I decided to only read the English ones. But not
> > everyone can do this, so there is a need for a farsi book.
>
> Yes Aryan , there is many of them ! :) " rahnamaye tasviri Linux "
> from "Sams Readhat 7 in 24 hour" is good example :)

Sams RedHat 7 in 24 hours, was the first Linux book that I had :-) It
wasn't the best though, not at all.

> This book got big Debian logo on it and talking about LinuxConf ( RH
> ! )

Oh my God!

> This guys translate " Free Software " to " narm afjar majani " !
> :(

If such a thing happened in US or EU, I would have personaly sued this
translator.

Ignorant, pathetic, incompetent, translators. The guy probably
translated the book without even installing Linux on his own box.

These are the things we should fear. Translating free software to narm
afzare majani, is a real treat for the iranian free sofware society.

> > I personaly hate sams. I have never liked a *single* book from them
> > ;-)
> >
> > Cheers
>
> humm... :) they just give people Experience with software :)

ّMaybe SAMS does have a couple of good books, I don't know it, but I
have invested prety heavily in software books, and I regret everything
that I bought from SAMS.

Maybe it's my style of underestanding and learning, that SAMS doesn't
fit me. But I have had books from nearly all their categores, the 'in
24 hours' category, the 'Unleashed' category, the 'for dummies'
category, and all of them suck. Let's put it this way, I don't agree
with the way SAMS describes software.

A book, should give you thourough underestanding of the subject, it
should give you the big picture. It is not necessary IMHO for a book to
cover every aspect of a software, and all it's ins and outs, and every
single switch or option. SAMS books are completely opposite. When you
read them, you feel that you are learning, but at the end of the day,
you will see that still, you do not have the neccessary big picture.

Just my $0.02

Cheers
--
/*  "Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a

Aryan Ameri