bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Download a File Via wget

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Download a File Via wget
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:13:37 +0300

On Saturday 23 August 2003 09:50, Zoup wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2003 14:09, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > Axel rocks, I personaly love it. However remember that wget has got
> > functionality that axel doesn't provide. axel is a light weight
> > good download manager, but it is no where as rich as GNU wget.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> emm... you are right , humm :)
> you know , axel is great when you want to download a great file ! :)
> a CD ISO image or something like that , do you know a good GUI
> download manager ? Kget ? :)
>
> ; are you using axelq ? ;)

No, I only use axel (the console tool) myself, for downloading big
files, like ISO images as you mentioned.

For downloading big files, I only rely on console download managers
myself (which means axel). Because when I am downloading a abig ISO
image, I don't want to reboot the machine for a long time, but I might
not want X for the whole time, so console is the only reliable way for
me.

Kget is good, but only for downloading anything less than 300 KB :-) For
anything bigger than that, I never rely on kget ;-)

But, kget and GNU wget are leaps and bounds ahead of axel, when it comes
to functionality. For example, both of them are able to function from
behind a firewall (important for me) while axel is not.

Anyway, it is the free software world. You have plenty of applications
to perform a single task. It all comes back to an individual's taste.

Cheers

--
/*  "Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a

Aryan Ameri