Re: dumb build questions

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: dumb build questions
Date: 03 Feb 2002 12:57:09 +0000

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Nic> Doing this:
> Nic>    whereis automake
>
> `whereis' isn't really reliable.  I don't know what it is doing
> exactly (I've never used or even heard of whereis), but it sure isn't
> searching $PATH.

This is from man:

  whereis then attempts to locate the desired
  program in a list of standard Linux places

which is why it finds the one in /usr/bin first. It's a useful little
tool but it's not intended to sort out path dependancies, one uses
which (or as you say, type) for that.

> If you use bash, try `type automake'.  For me:
>
>     creche. whereis automake
>     automake: /usr/bin/automake /usr/local/bin/automake /usr/share/automake
>     creche. type automake
>     automake is hashed (/usr/local/bin/automake)

I do use bash and that does work:

        automake is hashed (/usr/local/bin/automake)

because it's first in the path, you can also tell that by doing:

   which automake

But it seems that the wrong macro files are being picked up. I
presume that I'm getting confused and that isn't happening - the
location of the macro files is hardcoded into the binary of
automake, yes?

What I get from aclocal is this:

aclocal: configure.in: 71: macro `AM_DISABLE_STATIC' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 72: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 110: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 111: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 115: macro `AM_PATH_LIBART' not found in library

I'm using autoconf 2.52 as well as automake 1.5. My version of
libtool is 1.4.2a.

Please help me Obi Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Nic