Archiving email

From: Cierniak, Michal
Subject: Archiving email
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:21:40 -0800

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> > You can sign up to the ORP mailing list and view the archives at
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orp
>
> Yahoo groups is really a pain to use. Even Sourceforge Geocrawler is
> better then that (although i really like mailman as used by
> mail.gnu.org). Don't you have archives that are a bit more
> easy to read then groups.yahoo.com?

You may be right that Yahoo is not the best way to handle a mailing list.  I
don't like mail.gnu.org because as far as I can see, it doesn't hide email
addresses.  I'm a little concerned that every email I send to the Classpath
mailing list increases a possibility that I will get spam because someone
will scan GNU's mail archives and add my email to their lists.  I'm not
expert on privacy issues, so maybe there's something I'm missing, but I'd
like to note that since I started to send email to the Classpath mailing
list, I started to receive spam messages at my work email address.  It may
be just a coincidence, but I hadn't received any spam prior to that and I'm
really careful not to give away my work email to places that might
potentially resell it.

I have however considered migrating ORP to the SourceForge Geocrawler
because they do seem to hide email addresses.

Does anyone on this mailing list have any suggestions?  My experience in
managing mailing lists is quite limited.

Michal