Re: Towards GNU Classpath 0.07 and 1.0

From: Patrik Reali
Subject: Re: Towards GNU Classpath 0.07 and 1.0
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:24:46 +0200

> 0.07. The best thing for the next snapshot is to just set a date when we
> want to release it. I propose to just set this at the last week of
> November (three months from now) since we are already making real
> progress. Look at the bug/patch database for a number of improvements to
> object streams, java.text, rmi and javax.naming that are just waiting to
> get checked in. Much thanks go to the Kaffe team that has been importing
> Classpath libraries like mad the last couple of weeks and simultaneously
> debugged them and provided patches! And apologies to anyone whose
> patches didn't make it for the 0.06 release.
> If that works out then we can just keep on doing snapshot releases every
> three months till...

I think that setting the dates is quite useful, at least it gives an
indication of
classpath's progress; it also helps (at least me) to plan the releases of
the Jaos
to keep in synch with classpath and be able to start the migration early to
contribute
with feedback and comments about the new code.

At the moment it is not clear [to me], whether the releases are time-driven
or
feature-driven (I guess rather time-driver), but in both cases it would be
nice
to have a paragraph on the release policy on the web-site and the list of
conditions which trigger a new release.

I admit that 0.06 took me by surprise.... and I currently do not have the
resources to
upgrade Jaos to the 0.06 in the next days.

-Patrik

Patrik Reali
http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/jaos/