RE: GNU Classpath 0.06 created

From: Qiong Cai
Subject: RE: GNU Classpath 0.06 created
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:07:08 +1000

Hi,

Does ORP 1.10 work with this new release?  After browsing through the
mailing list archives, I cannot find why ORP is broken with the
classpath.  I really like to do some experiments on some server
benchmarks like tomcat/jboss and jbb by using ORP+classpath, and I
believe the latest classpath support these benchmarks arleady.

Qiong

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 18:07, Per Bothner wrote:
> You don't put releases on alpha.gnu.org - you put them on ftp.gnu.org.

> You can put pre-releases on alpha.gnu.org, but if you already have a
> release there seems little point.

My thinking was that the 0.0x releases are actually the pre-releases
while we work towards the first real GNU Classpath 1.0 release. People
can combine these pre-releases with their own VMs like gcj, kissme,
jikesRVM, Jaos, etc already do. But as long as we don't have at least a
minimum of functionality to offer (we are hoping that 1.0 will have the
equivalent functionality as core libraries that come with some
proprietary 1.1 JDKs) and a stable/maintainable VM interface we cannot
call it a real release. We do hope that people try these pre-releases
out to create compilers and/or VM environments so they can give us
feedback what should be improved for the real 1.0 release. (And I also
don't have access to ftp.gnu.org)

Cheers,

Mark