Re: NotYetImplementedError [Was: NYIException]

From: Stephen Crawley
Subject: Re: NotYetImplementedError [Was: NYIException]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:21:14 +1000

> So, my proposal is:
> (1) Throw NotYetImplementedError extends Error (or LinkageError?)
> (2) Document clearly that users of Classpath SHOULD NOT catch this
> exception, but use System.getProperty("gnu.classpath.version") instead.
> (3) Document, in the VM interface, that such property should be set, of
> course.

If no user is allowed to catch this new error/exception, why are we going
to the bother of creating it in the first place??

If the only reason for creating the new exception is as a documentation
aid, then a better approach would be to throw UnsupportedOperationException
with a stereotypical error message and or stereotypical javadoc description.

I think it is unreasonable to expect application developers to know
which features where unimplemented / implemented in which versions
of Classpath.  IMO, this far more awkward than catching an exception.

-- Steve