Re: RFC: add --enable-libjava-build option

From: Andreas Tobler
Subject: Re: RFC: add --enable-libjava-build option
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:42:10 +0200

Mark Wielaard wrote:
On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 06:57 +0200, Andreas Tobler wrote:

as mentioned by Mark and Tom, this should be discussed on the list.
When we build classpath inside libgcj we 'need' some gcc specific bits to build qt-peers for example. Other areas might benefit too. To build c++ stuff we need the just bootstrapped g++, its include & its libraries. To make these known to the classpath machinery it would be good to have the option mentionend in the subject. Then we can add the includes and the library to the QT_CFLAGS/QT_LIBS with simply cheking for ENABLE_LIBJAVA_BUILD=yes and add them. (We would have to extend the configury to check for this later, yes)

So far I see no possibility to pass them down from libjava build into classpath build without the option below.

What are your comments, thoughts on this? Is there a better possibility?

I am a bit afraid having such a --enable-libjava-build will mean that
lots and lots of tiny hacks are introduced all over the place especially
for the integrating inside gcc case. Which is important. But we have
other projects also integrating classpath. And hopefully we can share
the "integration workarounds" with such project, such as kaffe. So I am
much more in favor of introducing generic solutions for the individual
problems instead of one catch all configure flag.

I have no problem with that. Even better when we can have a generic approach.

Could you post your solution for the above QT_CFLAGS/QT_LIBS check using
this ENABLE_LIBJAVA_BUILD? Then we can see if the solution as a whole
can be made generic.

This is the snippet I have in cp inside gcc. Basically nothing special.

+  dnl This is a hacky situation. The build compiler needs the flags from
+  dnl  the build tree and not from the installation. So we have to set
+  dnl libstc++  bits here.
+  if test "x${ENABLE_LIBJAVA_BUILD}" = xyes; then
+    QT_CFLAGS="$QT_CFLAGS -I../../../../../libstdc++-v3/include"
+    QT_CFLAGS="$QT_CFLAGS -I../../../../../libstdc++-v3/include/${target}"
+    QT_CFLAGS="$QT_CFLAGS -I\$(top_srcdir)/../../libstdc++-v3/libsupc++"
+    QT_LIBS="$QT_LIBS ../../../../../libstdc++-v3/src/libstdc++.la"
   fi

We may find a better solution here too, but it is done in a similar way for xlib peers inside gcc/libjava. W/o the above flags passed, build fails miserably.

Thanks,

Andreas