Re: Usage of RFC documentation for Javadoc

From: Wolfgang Baer
Subject: Re: Usage of RFC documentation for Javadoc
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:16:28 +0100

Hi Mark,

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi Wolfgang,
[...]

Yes, you can use the text of that RFC for the documentation of the
classes. If you look into our LICENSE file you see that the same is
already done for org/ietf/jgss using RFC 2853.

Good news for our documentation :-)

There are a couple of steps to follow when doing this.

- We need to inform FSF legal (licensing@) that we wish to incorporate
  such text. Can you give me the RFC numbers? Then I inform them and
  include the text from the RFC. (We need to double check since not all
  RFCs come with precisely the same permission text.)

RFC 2910 IPP/1.1: Encoding and Transport
RFC 2911 IPP/1.1: Model and Semantics

RFC 3196 IPP/1.1: Implementor's Guide (not yet used for documentation)

As far as I can see all have the same copyright statement as
included in my former mail.

- We need to add a similar note as already done for org/ietf/jgss to the
  LICENSE file. That file should list all legal text so the user has
  one place to review them all.

I will prepare a patch if it is approved from FSF legal. Most likely
the RFC documentation will be used for the javax.print.attribute.standard
package (and maybe other javax.print classes - we will see) and all the
internal gnu.ipp/cups stuff which is in preparation.

- Each file that includes documentation from the RFC should have the
  full permission statement as part of the first comment block just
  after the standard boilerplate. See for an example the file
  org/ietf/jgss/Oid.java. This makes sure each file as all notices
  covering the work so people can look it up even in isolation. And that
  way the text is automatically picked up by gjdoc -licensetext so that
  the generated documentation includes all notices automatically.

I had a look at this example. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Regards,
Wolfgang