Re: memory behavior to expect with gjdoc-0.7.6

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: memory behavior to expect with gjdoc-0.7.6
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:16:46 +0100

Hi Frederick,

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 21:26 -0500, Frederick C Druseikis wrote:
> I'm using gjdoc-0.7.6 to test a new port of JamVM-1.4.1 +
> classpath-0.19 on OpenBSD.  I'm trying to get gjdoc to do all the
> classpath documentation.  gjdoc makes a lot of progress (it's
> outputting stuff), but blows off by hitting an upper memory limit.
>
> My question is this: Should I expect that gjdoc will need to use > 1GB
> per process virtual memory? How big?  (This may be transparently
> satisfied on Linux; on OpenBSD I have to recompile the kernel. Bummer.)

Running gjdoc over all of GNU Classpath at once is pretty memory
intensive. I don't have a setup at this moment using jamvm. But a
natively compiled (with gcj) gjdoc seems to have a top virtual memory
usage of just above 300MB. So 1GB seems a bit much. But try generating
documentation first of just one or two subpackages to see if that works.

Cheers,

Mark