Re: RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie

From: Anthony Green
Subject: Re: RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:25:14 -0800

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:42 -0800, Casey Marshall wrote:
> A few of us have been throwing around the idea of merging GNU Crypto
> and Jessie into GNU Classpath, so Classpath will have full support
> for crypto and SSL "out of the box." We've proposed this before, and
> I think this idea was mostly approved by the group, but no-one ever
> got around to doing it.

My only concern is there be some trivial mechanism to generate a US
export-friendly version GNU Classpath, like..

$ configure --disable-munitions

My understanding is that the US government has made it simpler to
distribute FOSS crypto code in recent years, but I have a situation
where I actually need to strip all export controlled crypto.  To be
honest, I'm not sure what specific algorithms this means.  It's possible
that Classpath already contains some.

In any case, it would be nice if the configury and build process could
automatically handle the absence of crypto algorithms.

Thanks,

AG